The main difference between tpe and silicon is-
I. Silicone is a type of thermoset elastomer.
II. TPE is a type of thermoplastic elastomer.
The main difference is that silicon has a molecular structure of SI02, and TPE has a molecular structure of CC. 3. From processing performance perspective: Silicone needs to be molded through vulcanization, but TPE can be molded without vulcanization.
What is in thermoplastic elastomer?
Elastomers and Rubbers
Polyolefin thermoplastic elastomer (TPO) materials are defined as compounds (mixtures) of various polyolefin polymers, semicrystalline thermoplastics, and amorphous elastomers. Most TPOs are composed of polypropylene and a copolymer of ethylene and propylene called ethylene–propylene rubber.
What does silicon mean?
Silicon (Si), a nonmetallic chemical element in the carbon family (Group 14 [IVa] of the periodic table). Silicon makes up 27.7 percent of Earth’s crust; it is the second most abundant element in the crust, being surpassed only by oxygen. silicon.
TPE is a general term of a variety of elastomeric materials with the characteristics of elastic rubber and melt-flowable elastomer at high temperature. Silicone rubber is a special kind of rubber. The main difference is that silicon has a molecular structure of SI02, and TPE has a molecular structure of CC.
Difference between Thermoplastic elastomers (Tpe) and silicon?
- TPE is an overall term of an assortment of elastomeric materials with the qualities of versatile elastic and dissolve flowable elastomer at high temperature. Silicone elastic is an extraordinary sort of elastic. It has great mechanical strength, scraped spot opposition and high temperature obstruction in the wake of being crosslinked. It has a place with a sort of thermoset elastic, won’t soften subsequent to being vulcanized and warmed, will consume when the temperature is unnecessarily high, and will yield water and silica after complete burning.
- Different underlying investigation: Silicone is an elastomer made out of a chain of silicon-oxygen joins, and with an overall side chain of CH3. TPE is a thermoplastic elastomer made out of styrene, olefins and polyurethanes. The principle distinction is that silicon has an atomic design of SI02, and TPE has a sub-atomic construction of CC.
- According to handling execution viewpoint: Silicone should be shaped through vulcanization, however TPE can be formed without vulcanization. Silicone is more hard to be handled and formed, while the creation and handling of TPE is less difficult.
- Silicone enjoys an upper hand over TPE in high temperature. The temperature obstruction scope of silicone is 200 ~ 300 ºC, while that of TPE is hypothetically 130ºC ~ 150 ºC, or more that reach, TPE will age and break.
- Costs of silicone elastic are higher than TPE. TPE enjoys a benefit of being less expensive. Aside from unique TPE materials, silicon has such merits as without halogen, fire resistant, food-grade appropriate, and so forth
- According to cost viewpoint, silicone squanders can’t be reused, while TPE squanders, spout deposits and edge materials can be completely reused and reused. In this manner, TPE is more savvy.
Get in touch
Flexishine Polyblends LLP
Tal,Kalol, Gandhi Nagar – 382721
+91 93774 82340